Dryer Catches Fire in Fox Point Home Wednesday
Two residents were home but got out safely. This is the third fire in April in the Fox Point, Bayside area.
A Fox Point home at 124 W. Bradley Rd. caught fire early Wednesday morning when lint from the dryer ignited.
"We had a fire in a clothes dryer in the basement," said Pete Busalacchi, operations battalion chief for the North Shore Fire Department. "It just extended a little outside the dyer, so there was a little bit of property damage outside the dryer, mainly just a few clothes."
Two residents were home when the fire started around 10:30 a.m., Busalacchi said, but both got out safely.
"We used a hand-held extinguisher. There was just smoke throughout the house and that was ventilated. So, everything's good now," he said.
There were a total of 12 fire fighters, two engines, one truck, one truck company, one ambulance and one chief officer on scene.
This is the third home fire in this area in the month of April. Residents across the North Shore reported visible flames and smoke from a home that caught fire on Rexleigh Drive in Bayside on April 12. Everyone escaped but it took firefighters nearly four hours to douse the flames. Just one day before that, another fire broke out and destroyed a Glendale home on St. Johns Court very near Bradley Road. In the case of Wednesday's fire, a neighbor said he's just glad this was a small incident.
"I'm just glad it was a small fire, caught early and everyone's OK," Matt Heltsley said.
NSFD recommends cleaning lint and screen filters after each use, making sure exhaust from the dyer is escaping properly outside and making sure the interior portion of the dryer, aside from the drum, is cleaned annually by a professional. Find more tips for keeping your home safe in the fire department's blog.