Fire Sparked at Glendale Auto Repair Shop
North Shore Fire Department officials a static charge ignited painting fumes at the Andrew Automotive Collision Repair Center late Thursday afternoon.
No one was injured late Thursday afternoon when a static charge ignited painting fumes, sparking a fire at a Glendale automotive repair shop.
At approximately 2:38 p.m., a North Shore Fire Department crew was on their way to a call for service from the Glendale firehouse when they noticed a large amount of heavy black smoke to the southwest.
Almost simultaneously, Bayside Dispatch received a 9-1-1 call from the Andrew Automotive Collision Repair Center, 1621 W. La Salle Ave., reporting a fire within their business, according to a NSFD press release.
First arriving crews found heavy black smoke pushing from the repair shop and an on-scene commander requested more back-up, according to NSFD. Fire companies then began an aggressive offensive attack on the fire and were able to quickly bring it under control and ultimately extinguish the fire.
Following an investigation, the origin of the fire was determined to be an automobile painting booth located within the structure. NSFD officials say it appears a static charge ignited painting fumes within the booth starting the fire.
The damage to the booth and the structure is estimated at approximately $100,000.