Editor's note: This marks the debut of a new column provided by the North Shore Library, which serves Fox Point, Bayside, Glendale and River Hills.
The is more than just library. It is a gathering place for our community.
On March 5, the library will host an opportunity for all our friends and neighbors who share an interest in green and sustainable living to network and share their ideas with others.
Organizations and businesses in the area are invited to have a table to share what they offer. We are calling it our "Green Fest" and all are welcome to come join in the event.
If you are interested in taking part or know someone who might be interested, please let us know. You may call the library at 414-351-3461 and talk to reference librarian Svetlana Foley.
Want to delve deeper into current thinking on environmental issues? Look for some of these book titles among others on our book display or on our new non-fiction shelves:
- "Green Metropolis: Why Living Smaller, Living Closer, and Driving Less are the Keys to Sustainability," by David Owen (304.2 O97 New) Owen argues that cities are actually very ecofriendly and challenges a lot of conventional thinking regarding “green” living.
- "Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining The Environmental Revolution," by Heather Rogers (363.7 R726 New) Rogers writes how the green movement is failing to live up to the promises due to economic and political interests.
- "Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis," by Al Gore (363.73874 G666 New) Gore continues to explore the science and politics behind global climate change.
Looking for what you can do in your own life to reduce your carbon footprint? Check out the following books:
- "Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways To Save Your Money, Simplify Your Life, And Save The Planet," by Elizabeth Rogers with Colleen Howell (640 R725 New)
- "Greening Your Family: A Reference Guide To Safe Food, Personal Care and Cleaning Products," by Lindsey Carmichael (333.72 C287 New)
- "Ed Begley Jr.'s Guide To Sustainable Living: Learning To Conserve Resources And Manage An Eco-Conscious Life," by Ed Begley Jr. (333.72 B417E New)
- "Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways To Save The Earth And Get Rich Trying," by David Bach (640 B118)
- "Green, Greener, Greenest : A Practical Guide To Making Eco-Smart Choices A Part Of Your Life," by Lori Bongiorno (333.72 B713)
See our book display for other similar titles.