Monday, May 6, 2013
North Shore Fire Department officials share concerns with others throughout the state about Wisconsin's ambulance inspection program, with some worried that some ambulances just shouldn't be on the road.
Ten years ago, the lives of an ambulance crew in central Wisconsin were changed forever when a balding tire caused their vehicle to lose traction on a wet highway, skid across the median and roll over. In the resulting accident, the patient being transported died and the crew was injured, none more so than Matt Deicher of Mosinee. “I flew and hit my face onto the back doors of the ambulance,” Deicher told WISN 12 News. Deicher was paralyzed. He believes the July 2003 accident could have been prevented "very, very easily." Just two days earlier, the lone state ambulance inspector gave the Mosinee Fire Department 10 days to replace balding tires on the vehicle. The crew was unaware of the report before the run. A decade later, not much has …
Friday, April 5, 2013
The firefighter, who took heat on Fox News for running marathons after he retired on disability from the North Shore Fire Department, has filed a defamation lawsuit against the fire chief and news station
A man who retired from the North Shore Fire Department after he was injured has filed a defamation lawsuit against Fox News and Megyn Kelly for a story aired in 2011, which reported he ran marathons while collecting disability payments. According to a story in the Journal Sentinel, Aaron Marjala filed the suit in Milwaukee County Circuit Court. The suit also names Robert Whitaker, the chief of the North Shore Fire Department. Marjala worked as a firefighter with North Shore from 2002 until he was determined to be permanently disabled as a firefighter in January 2008, due to nerve damage in his right arm that persisted despite two surgeries, according to the complaint. Find out more about the defamation case.
Monday, March 25, 2013
A facilitator is looking at how the member communities fund the North Shore Fire Department, and could recommend changes.
The amount of money Fox Point and Bayside contribute to the North Shore Fire Department could be changing. Fox Point Now reports the member communities have approved spending up to $2,000 on a facilitator who will look at the funding formula and come up with a new structure outlining how much each community contributes. All communities will have to approve any funding changes, according to Fox Point Now. The new funding formula would take effect in 2016. This would allow the three-year plan approved in late 2012 to run its course. That plan set a flat fee so municipalities knew what they needed to budget through the end of 2015. But some communities had concerns about it, prompting further review.
Friday, March 8, 2013
There are signs of spring — really! — and one is the coming of Daylight Saving, but when exactly do we spring forward?
If your back is aching from shoveling the recent dumping of snow, perhaps this will make you feel a little better: daylight saving time is just around the corner. At 2 a.m. Sunday to be exact — clocks should be pushed forward one hour. So while we lose an hour overall, we're gaining sunlight by a couple of minutes every day, and it will be nice to enjoy it after work for a change. Perhaps even more importantly, the North Shore Fire Department hopes you'll also celebrate the unofficial holiday by checking your smoke detectors and replacing their batteries. According to the National Fire Protection Association, even though nearly all homes have a smoke alarm, they were absent in 28 percent of homes that experienced a fire, and inoperable …
Monday, February 18, 2013
No injuries reported in blaze, which caused about $50,000 in damage to the Elizabeth Residence on Port Washington Road.
A Bayside assisted-living facility was evacuated Monday afternoon after smoke from a kitchen fire filled part of the building, fire officials said. No injuries were reported in the blaze, which occurred at about 2:30 p.m. in a second-floor units of the Elizabeth Residence, 9279 N. Port Washington Road, the North Shore Fire Department said. Although the fire was quickly extinguished by the facility's sprinkler system, there was still smoke throughout several corridors of the building, so authorities decided to evacuate all residents and staff from the building, the department said. The fire caused about $50,000 worth of damage to the bulding and contents of the unit, the department said. There was moderate fire damage to the kitchen as well…
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Lucy the dog went missing Wednesday, but after someone saw her in the MIlwaukee river, and crews made a rescue, she has been reunited with her owner.
A North Shore Fire Department crew rescued Lucy the dog from the frigid, chilly Milwaukee River Saturday after someone spotted the canine stranded. The dog had ran away on Wednesday, and following the rescue was reunited with her owner, Today's TMJ4 reports. NSFD said someone reported the dog stranded on the river after noticing it had been there for more than 24 hours.
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Over 300 law enforcement, fire and rescue personnel responded to a massive 9 alarm fire in Burlington last night and among them were several North Shore firefighters.
Firefighters from the North Shore Fire Department were among the 93 fire departments that responded to a nine-alarm fire in the City of Burlington Wednesday night, according to our media partners at Channel 12. The Burlington Fire Department initially responded to the fire at 6:05 p.m. at Echo Lake Foods, 33102 S Honey Lake Rd. After arriving, they found a “significant fire” and called neighboring departments to help battle the blaze. However, “about 50 people in the area -- 10 homes and one apartment building -- were evacuated as a precaution because of the chemicals in the plant and the heavy smoke, but no further evacuations were expected.” According to the story: Burlington Mayor Robert Miller said Thursday afternoon that the fire was …
Thursday, January 24, 2013
North Shore Fire Department officials a static charge ignited painting fumes at the Andrew Automotive Collision Repair Center late Thursday afternoon.
No one was injured late Thursday afternoon when a static charge ignited painting fumes, sparking a fire at a Glendale automotive repair shop. At approximately 2:38 p.m., a North Shore Fire Department crew was on their way to a call for service from the Glendale firehouse when they noticed a large amount of heavy black smoke to the southwest. Almost simultaneously, Bayside Dispatch received a 9-1-1 call from the Andrew Automotive Collision Repair Center, 1621 W. La Salle Ave., reporting a fire within their business, according to a NSFD press release. First arriving crews found heavy black smoke pushing from the repair shop and an on-scene commander requested more back-up, according to NSFD. Fire companies then began an aggressive offensive…
Thursday, January 17, 2013
All Milwaukee County fire departments have partnered with the Hunger Task Force to help increase donations of the nutritious and kid-friendly food.
As the cost of peanut butter reached an all-time high in 2012, the Hunger Task Force's supply of the delicious, nutritious and kid-friendly food began running low. And while people across the county are willing to donate, getting to the Hunger Task Force food bank at 201 S. Hawley Court in Milwaukee during its hours of operation of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. is not always an easy task. All of Milwaukee County’s fire departments — more specifically, the 60 fire stations in the county — will be public peanut butter donation centers for the Hunger Task Force starting today, Jan. 17. “I had seen the need for peanut butter. Then I thought, ‘Why haven’t I donated peanut butter?’ said Greenfield Fire Chief Jon Cohn, who initially approached the Hunger …
Friday, November 30, 2012
The North Shore Fire Department's "Keeping the Wreath Red" program begins Saturday, and is a time to promote additional awareness of fire safety.
Saturday marks the beginning of this year’s "Keeping the Wreath Red" campaign from the North Shore Fire Department. The campaign highlights the importance of added home fire awareness during the holiday season. During the campaign, a wreath with red lights will be hung outside each of the five stations in the NSFD. If holiday decorations cause a fire, a red bulb will be switched out for a white bulb. “When we’re talking about the holiday season, there are extra hazards in place,” said Capt. John Maydak of the NSFD. These extra hazards are not solely related to decorations. According to Maydak, the most common cause of house fires is cooking. Some of the added hazards during the holiday season include: Several steps can be taken to prevent…